Amazon Peru Travel 5 days – TROPICAL ALPINE SHRUB/GRASSLAND – PARAMO: At altitudes above cloud and elfin forests, from Costa Rica south to Bolivia, a shrub land ecosystem occurs. This is named paramo. This ecosystem has a wet and cool climate, which throughout the year often sees nightly frosts. Large clumped grasses called tussock grasses with sharp, yellowish blades, along with a scattering of terrestrial bromeliads and ferns, are the dominant vegetation in amazon peru.
Among a landscape of paramo, at elevations between 3,500 and 4,500 m (11,400 – 14,800 ft.) in the Andes, (which is normally above timberline), islands of gnarled trees confined to protected, rocky slopes can be seen. These groups of trees are dominated by the genus Polylepis, occurring in essentially pure stands at the higher elevations. Polylepis can also be found in lower-elevation cloud forests but normally mixed among other species.Polylepis is very drought resistant, in amazon peru in jungle trips. with the largest trees reaching heights of about 18 m 59 ft. this ecosystem type is considered threatened throughout much of its range in amazon peru.
- Jungle Trips: Amazon Peru Travel
- Length: 5 Days/4 Nights
- Type of service: Private or Group
- Location: Southern Peru, Cusco Department, Madre de Dios Department, Manu National Park, Tambopata, Sandoval lake
- Activities: Amazon Peru , parrot’s clay-lick, Machuwasi Lake, hollowed tree trunk rafting, hot springs, jungle trips, manu culture zone, manu adventure, rainforest lodge, manu jungle expeditions
- Altitude: 400 – 3,600 m.a.s.l.
- Best time to visit: May – October
- Departure: Every day
- Minimum of participants: 4
- Maximum of participants: 10
- Price per person: USD
Quick Itinerary of the Amazon Peru Travel 5 days:
Tour Day 1: Cusco, Ninamarca, Manu Culture Zone, Pilcopata, Tikari Lodge, Manu Jungle Expeditions
Tour Day 2: Tikari Lodge, Atalaya, Rainforest Lodge, Manu Jungle Expeditions
Tour Day 3: Rainforest Lodge, Parrot Clay Lick, Aguas Calientes (of Manu), Manu Jungle Expeditions
Tour Day 4: Manu Jungle Expeditions, Aguas Calientes, Machuwasi Lake, Rainforest Lodge
Tour Day 5: Manu Jungle Expeditions, Rainforest Lodge, Atalaya, Cusco
Amazon Peru Travel 5 days / 4 nights:
TOURS DAY 1:
TOUR CUSCO, NINAMARCA, MANU CULTURE ZONE, PILCOPATA, TIKARI LODGE:
We leave Cusco early in the morning to start our adventurous trip! First, we are taken by private transport to the place called Ninamarca to observe pre-Incan “chullpas” (tombs) of the Lupaca’s culture. Then, we continue to Paucartambo, a colonial town with narrow streets and beautiful church, where people still keep their old customs. Later, we ascend to Acjanaco Pass (3,550 masl) considered as an entrance to the Manu National Park and then we get to the viewpoint Tres Cruces de Oro (3,700 masl) to watch one of the best sunrises of the world! From there, we start descending to the edge of the Manu jungle passing first an elfin forest and there a cloud forest where we can view a cock of the rock, hummingbirds, strikingly coloured quetzals, trogons, spotted flycatcher and woolly monkey. From flora, we can view a variety of orchids, mosses, ferns, etc. Finally, we get to Pilcopata (700 masl) where our first accommodation – Tikari Lodge is placed. We can refresh ourselves there having a shower and after that, we are served dinner, before we get to bed
optional night walk in amazon peru with manu jungle trips.
TOURS DAY 2:
TOUR PILCOPATA, ATALAYA, Amazon Peru Travel, MANU JUNGLE EXPEDITIONS
After breakfast, we continue our journey by private car (one and half an hour) towards the port at Atalaya (500 m.a.s.l). There, we board a motorized boat to continue for about half an hour navigating on the Alto Madre de Dios River. Along the rocky riversides, we have a great opportunity to observe the river wildlife like many birds, turtles or sunbathing lizards. In the afternoon, we reach our next lodge – Rainforest Lodge. Then we go to explore nearby paths where we can see a big diversity of species, for example, tarantulas, ants, butterflies, some monkey species, huge trees, erotic plants, palms, etc. After that, we return to our lodge to overnight.
Optional: A night walk in amazon peru with manu jungle trips and manu national park.
TOURS DAY 3:
Amazon Peru Travel, PARROT CLAY LICK, CAMPSITE IN AGUAS CALIENTES:
We wake up today very early to board a motor boat taking us to a 10 minute far away clay-lick of parrots, budgerigars and aras (guacamayo) which is an unforgettable experience! After this activity, we return to the lodge to have breakfast. Afterwards, we go for a walk following nearby Manu jungle´s paths observing its large flora & fauna biodiversity such as monkeys, birds, medicinal plants used by local people to heal various sicknesses, etc. For lunch, we get back to the lodge to later continue to another excursion, this time to Aguas Calientes (hot springs located in the Manu National Park) getting there downstream by a motorboat during a ride lasting about 2 and half an hour. There, we enjoy a hot bath providing us with energy to set up a nearby camp exactly in the jungle! Then our local Tour Guide tells us big stories about the jungle.
Optional: A night ride in a boat to do “caimaneada” (caiman watching) in amazon Peru in jungle trips.
TOURS DAY 4:
MANU JUNGLE EXPEDITIONS, CAMPSITE IN AGUAS CALIENTES, MACHUWASI LAKE, Amazon Peru Travel
Today, we have another opportunity to go to the parrot clay-lick to view parrots, budgerigars and guacamayos eating clay that is very important to their digestion. If we are lucky, we can also spot some big mammals like capybaras, tapirs, anteater, monkeys, etc. We go for lunch back to the Rainforest Lodge. Afterwards, we have a short break to enjoy a refreshing bath in a river or just relax in the lodge. In the afternoon, we go to visit Machuwasi Lake to check out a sail in “remos” (hollowed tree trunks used by natives of the area). This is a perfect way on how to watch a big diversity of local animal species such as a prehistoric bird called hoatzin, some caimans, capybaras or monkeys Tocon (Callicebus oenanthe). Later on, we return to our lodge to spend the night.
Optional: A night walk in Amazon Peru and manu national park
TOURS DAY 5:
MANU JUNGLE EXPEDITIONS, Amazon Peru Travel, ATALAYA, TOUR CUSCO
After breakfast, we board our motorized boat to start returning. Our first stop is in the Atalaya Port where our private vehicle awaits us to take us back to Cusco arriving there between 7 and 7:30 pm.
You need to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever as well as to bring some anti-malaria tablets with you!!
Included in the Amazon Peru Travel 5 days:
- A professional naturalist Tour Guide for amazon peru;
- Motorboat transportation;
- Private vehicle land transportation for jungle trips;
- Entrance fee to the thermal baths (Aguas Calientes of Manu National Park);
- A professional Cook,
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner and drinking water (Please note: vegetarian option upon request for no extra cost!);
- Accommodation: 3 nights in lodges, 1 night in a campsite in the Manu jungle trips;
- Camping equipment (personal tents, mattresses, tables, chairs, dining tent, kitchen tent, kitchen equipment and a gas bottle);
- First aid kit, including a poison extractor, mosquito bite treatment and an antidote for a snake bite;
- Rafting equipment and life jackets;
- Radio communications for jungle trips;
- Rubber boots.
Not included in the Amazon Peru Travel 5 days:
- Any flight nor airport departure taxes;
- Travel insurance;
- Vaccination for jungle trips;
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from us!);
- Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day;
- Tips to local staff.
What to take with you to the Amazon Peru Travel 5 days:
- Mosquito repellent (DEET 35 recommended as a MINIMUM!!),
- Original passport for jungle trips,
- Sleeping bag (you can rent if from us);
- Small backpack,
- Long sleeved cotton shirts (preferably green coloured),
- Long cotton trousers,
- Cotton long socks (to be put into your trousers),
- Comfortable walking shoes,
- Sandals or light shoes,
- Rain gear (e.g. rain poncho),
- Sweater (for the beginning of the tour in Andes and the cloud forest only),
- Binoculars (we also rent it),
- Camera and its charger for jungle trips,
- Plastic bags to be used for clothes and a camera,
- A hat as a protection against the Sun or rain,
- Small towel,
- Toilet paper,
- Antibacterial gel,
- Sun cream,
- Flashlight (with spare bulb and batteries),
- A bottled water (1 litre as a minimum),
- Pocket money (Soles) to buy some beverages and souvenirs as well as to tip.